Psychological treatment is also called ‘psychotherapy’ or ‘talking therapy’. It involves talking about your thoughts with a professional to explore thoughts, feelings, and behaviors, and seeks to improve an individual’s well-being.
- better understand your own thinking and behavior
- understand and resolve your problems
- recognize symptoms of mental illness in yourself
- reduce your symptoms
- change your behavior
- improve your quality of life.
Psychological treatments are proven to help with mental illnesses such as:
- Eating disorders.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Personality disorders.
- Low self esteem
There are different types of psychological treatments designed to help with different issues.
Some of the most common treatments are listed below:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Cognitive analytic therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Family therapy
- Group therapy
- Interpersonal therapy
- Mentalization-based therapy
- Motivational interviewing
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy
- Supportive psychotherapy